Thursday, December 16, 2010

I remember when I first learned that my sweetie pie had to avoid sugar that I was heart broken that he wouldn't be able to have a cake for his first birthday. It became so important for me to find a way to give him that same experience of smashing a cake and having fun making whatever mess he could. I also wanted to find a way that in later years he wouldn't notice the difference of everyone else getting fun cakes.
Here is what I came up with:


I bought a sugar free Jell-o cup. (it had to be Jell-o, the other sugar free brand was still made with fruit juice- hidden sugar!!!) Lined it with a cupcake liner. I topped it with sugar free/ lactose free Cool Whip. Sprinkles. And voila! my own impostor cupcake, mess and all!


I'm guessing he loved it!

I was excited a few weeks ago to find a sugar free cake mix by Pillsbury. I'm planning on making Evan some cookies with it for Christmas. I'm hoping it works out. I find that sugar free things don't always turn out the same way. It will be fabulous though to have a real birthday cake for him next year and another easy way to prepare a treat for him when it is needed. Pillsbury also has a sugar free frosting as well but it still contained Sorbitol which is on his "can't-have" list.

I'll let ya know how they taste!